When your stress levels run high, you crave for what is sweet and reach into sugary reliefs. That's pretty understandable considering the way stress is messing up your system. When you feel stressed, your body releases the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. You associate adrenaline as the power that gives you the strength for the flight or fight mechanism and together with cortisol, it spikes up your blood sugar levels and then drops it causing you to crave sweets. While some sweets are healthy (like sweet potatoes), in large amounts can be unhealthy. The good news is that there are stress relief foods that you can have without the side effects to harm you. In fact, not only do they help you calm down, they also help in boosting your mood, strengthening your immune system and making you healthier by improving your sleep.
So what are the top ten stress relief foods to grab when stress strikes at you?
Top 10 Stress Relief Foods
- Almonds are something you can munch on easily when you feel stressed. Why almonds? They're actually a rich source of vitamin E, B2, magnesium and zinc. Vitamin E fights the free radicals that cause cardiovascular disease. As for magnesium and vitamin B2, both of them help in fighting your stress hormones making you calm.
- Asparagus is one of the best brain foods that is rich in folic acid that helps you stabilize your mood. Aside from that, It's also rich in B vitamins which helps your brain produce the feel good chemical serotonin.
- Avocados have high levels of potassium, maintains the balance between your hormones, helps your cells reproduce and also make it easier for your body to absorb nutrients and minerals. Be it a smoothie, a puree, or a salad, this super food would help you keep your stress hormones down.
- Bananas are a perfect choice for easy-grab fruits that is rich in potassium and helps you relieve tension. More so, bananas help you stabilize your blood pressure so you don't have to worry if you'll munch up 10 or more depending on how stressed you are. Your bananas too ripe? Try Vegan Banana Ice Cream!
- Blueberries are proven stress busting foods because they are rich in fiber, vitamin C and antioxidant. Compositions that help you relieve stress and have a boost of energy. Try munching on a couple when you feel stressed or anxious about something or try mixing them with yogurt or make a smoothie out of them.
- Milk is rich with the vitamin B-complex, calcium, protein and even antioxidants. B-complex and antioxidants are very much important in fighting off free radicals in the body thus alleviating your stress levels. If you want to relieve stress even before it comes at you, make it a habit to drink a glass of low fat milk during breakfast and before you go to bed.
- Oatmeal you might not know it but oatmeal contains complex carbs that increases your serotonin levels and leaves a calming effect on the brain. It's also rich in antioxidants leaving you feel calm and satisfied after a bowl with low fat milk and assorted fruits tossed to taste.
- Oranges rich in vitamin C, these citrus fruits helps you bring down your stress levels and keeps you immune system strong to fight free radicals that cause diseases. They can help lower your blood pressure too.
- Spinach contains magnesium in large amounts. Magnesium is found out to be a key mineral in keeping your stress hormones balanced and your mind relaxed. If you haven't tried spinach yet, go grab a spinach salad or tossed in some leaves in a blender together with several fruits to make it taste better and much tolerable for you.
- Tea be it chamomile or any other variety that you prefer, tea will always be better than coffee. They're rich in antioxidants, immediately perks up your mood when you need it in the morning and helps soothe you at night for a good night's sleep.
Thank you for sharing this list of stress relief foods. I already each spinach on a daily basis and will make an effort to increase my consumption of a few others on the list.