Your oral health says a lot about you and a bright smile is one of the best ways to make a lasting impression.When it comes on to getting and keeping healthier and whiter teeth there are some useful tricks and tips that actually work. A key component to this though is how to actually prevent stains and reduce their effects, this way, when you do have white teeth you already know how to maintain.
What you put in, you get out- What you eat, your smoking habits and the medications that you take greatly affect the health of your teeth. Consuming red wine, processed foods, acid and sugar rich foods can cause thinning of your enamel over time. Not to mention taking certain antibiotics and smoking tobacco. Do not forget that over-consumption of tea can result in stains too. Moderation is always better than excess. It is always better to choose foods that are firm or crisp which actually help to clean your teeth.
If you are already suffering from poor oral health and have lost a tooth or two, dental implants are a great alternative. This is a procedure in which a metal fixture is placed into the jawbone (usually a screw). This screw then acts as an anchor or support for the new tooth structure. Over time your implant will fuse with the bone in your jaw and remains as a strong support. The cost of a dental implant will vary and can be quite expensive depending on a few factors that your dentist should discuss with you. You can find more information here regarding treatment and cost. Do not forget that the quality of your diet is highly tied to the health of your teeth.
Whiter and Healthier Teeth Guide:
- Brush after eating or drinking – Sometimes this can be difficult to achieve depending on where you are at the time but it is necessary and requires persistence. It is one of the best way to whiten your teeth naturally without causing you to break the bank. When brushing ensure that you brush at 45 degree angle in circular strokes according to the direction in which your teeth grow. Ensure that you floss as well.Another option is rinsing with water in the event that you cannot brush immediately.
- Gargle with Apple Cider Vinegar – you can gargle with a tablespoon full and then brush as usual once in the mornings to fight off bacteria that cause bad breath and whiten your teeth.
- Strawberries – packed with antioxidants, your age defying champions, strawberries when smashed and rubbed onto your teeth can brighten and whiten your teeth. Just take an average sized strawberry and smash it with a fork, apply it your teeth or use it to brush every now and then.
- Activated charcoal – which absorbs plaque and microscopic particles that stain your teeth. You simply wet your toothbrush and dip it into the powdered activated charcoal, brush then rinse as usual. This is not for everyday use though.
- Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide – The latter is known to serve as an antibacterial mouth rinse but in combination with baking soda when mixed into a paste it can produce sparkling white teeth. Just use it to brush as you normally would, except do it twice a week.
- Coconut Oil Pulling – This antimicrobial method cleans your gums, as well as your teeth and tongue. Put a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it between your teeth for 5 to 20 minutes, then spit it out.
If these methods prove too tedious you can always opt for In-office whitening/bleaching at your local dentist or use whitening or bleaching kits that you can purchase over-the-counter.