- 4-14.5 oz. cans Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- ½ -6 oz. can Muir Glen Organic Tomato Paste
- ¾ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
It’s getting closer and closer to winter and you know what that means…SOUP season is back. This vegan tomato basil soup is fast and easy to make and is packed full of flavor. Nothing is better in a tomato basil soup than using fresh-picked home grown tomatoes, but it is hard to get fresh tomatoes year round that are full of flavor. That is exactly why I use Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted diced tomatoes. They are just as good if not better then fire-roasting your own tomatoes.
- Pre-heat a soup pot on the stove on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 7-9 minutes or when onion is soft and slightly golden. If the onions start to stick, just add a little water to loosen them up from the pan.
- Next, add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the four cans of tomatoes, half of the can of organic tomato paste, fresh basil (I only added ¾ cup because that is all my plant had on it at the time. You can reduce the amount of dried and put more fresh if it’s available.), 3/4 cup of vegetable broth, and 1/2 teaspoon dry basil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let the soup cool slightly for about 5 minutes. Then blend with an immersion blender if you have one. If not, just put the soup into batches and blend until smooth.
- Serve the soup piping hot with your favorite whole-grain crackers or whole-wheat bread!
This vegan tomato basil soup is perfect for the winter time, and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do. I am not a big fan of winter or the cold, but one of the perks is that it is soup season for around 6 months, and having soup to warm me up from the cold is the best! Let me know if you try this delicious and easy recipe for vegan tomato basil soup.
Note: This recipe has a little kick from the red pepper flakes so be careful if you’re serving this to children.