- 4 medium potatoes (red, white, or russet)
- 1 large avocado
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded
- ½ Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
This recipe for Avocado Salsa Potato Skins is a mix of 2 of my absolute favorite foods! It is full of color, and once you eat it, it just bursts with flavor in your mouth. Usually, a potato skin is filled with sour cream and bacon, but this plant-strong vegan recipe is a transformation of those potato skins, and is both healthy and satisfying. These vegan delights are a real hit with all my friends, and I hope they are a hit with you, too!
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Wash the potatoes and place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 45 minutes.
3) Pull the potatoes out and let them cool for around 15 minutes. Leave the oven on 400 degrees.
4) Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato leaving the skin and a little bit of potato. (If you want to save the extra potato that you have scooped out, you can refrigerate it to use in another recipe.)
5) Once the potato is scooped out, put the potatoes back in the oven cut-side up for 15 minutes until the potato skins become crispy. Now that the potatoes are back in the oven, you can start the salsa.
7) Put the tomatoes into a mixing bowl.
8) Cut the avocados into chunky bite-size pieces and add them to the mixing bowl.
9) Then add the cilantro, red onion, and lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
10) Stir the mixture.
11) When the potatoes are done in the oven, take them out and fill them with the mixture.
Hopefully you have enjoyed making these delicious vegetarian avocado salsa potato skins. Not only are these a great side dish, but kids absolutely love to eat these. This isn’t your ordinary potato, and it gets your kids the nutrition they need. Let me know what you think!
Photo Credit: Vegetarian Times Magazine