- 1 – 14.5 ounce can of Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes (No Salt Added)
- 1 pint of okra
- ½ of a small white onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
I absolutely love this recipe for stewed okra and tomatoes. This plant-strong, vegan recipe has so many perks so I want to mention a few. Not only is it easy to make, but it is super healthy. Of the 35 minutes it takes to complete this dish, only about 10 minutes of it is prep time so it is very simple to make, and since it is plant-strong, you KNOW it’s going to be good for you! It serves 2 to 3 people as a side dish and is always a hit at my dinner table. So let’s get started:
1) Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2) Trim the ends off of the okra, and cut them into ½ inch pieces. (This should be about 3 cups of cut okra.)
3) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the okra on the baking sheet.
4) Sprinkle the okra with a ½ tsp garlic powder and a ½ tsp of pepper.
5) Roast the okra in the oven for 10 minutes. By roasting the okra, it will make the okra less slimy. I think this is a great tip that is a quick and easy step that really improves the finished product.
6) While the okra is roasting, dice the onion and sauté it in a medium sauce pan until it is tender and translucent. (Turn the sauce pan on high heat and add the onion stirring occasionally. You don’t need to use oil since the pan is on high heat.) When the onions become tender and start to brown, turn off the heat.
7) Once the okra is done roasting and the onions are tender, add the okra, the Muir Glen tomatoes, and a ½ tsp of garlic powder to the saucepan. Make sure to put the whole can of tomatoes as well as the liquid into the pan.
8) Turn the stove back on to medium high heat.
9) When the mixture starts to boil, reduce to low heat and cover. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
That is all it takes to have flavorful and delicious stewed okra and tomatoes at your dinner table. This vegetarian recipe was one of my favorite side dishes growing up, and I am still addicted to it today. If you have leftovers, you can store it in the refrigerator for 3 days, but at my table, there are never leftovers! As always, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let me know. Enjoy!