- 1 onion
- 7-10 cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound Haricot Verts or green beans
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
I love green beans, specifically Haricot Verts! These are the French green beans that are longer and thinner and oh so delicious. Kale is another favorite of mine, but it is not as well known. It seems like recently, it has really begun to get so much more exposure, which I am thrilled about. This recipe takes these two favorites and adds just a hint of heat. If you want to make this recipe vegan, just leave out the Parmesan cheese and you have a fabulous vegan dish. For the mushrooms, I have used cremini mushrooms, but the mushroom of you choice will work, just slice them up! Let’s get started on these Spicy Vegetarian Green Beans.
With this healthy recipe it is best to prep everything first.
1. Slice up your onion first. I like the yellow onions best because they are so sweet.
2. Clean your mushrooms with a damp paper towel, and trim off the stem and slice them.
3. Take your green beans, and trim off the ends and cut them into about 1 inch pieces.
4. Wash the kale, then remove the leaves from the stem or stalk. Go ahead and chop it up into bite size pieces, but not to small.
Now you are ready to cook!
5. Get out a heavy sauté pan or skillet. Put it on high heat and toss in your onions, dry, (no oil needed)!
6. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until they begin to brown.
7. Add the mushrooms, green beans, salt and pepper, and continue cooking another 3 minutes or so.
8. Pour in your vegetable broth and toss. Your green beans should begin to get tender after another 5 minutes.
9. This is the time to add the red pepper flakes to the pan.
10. Then, add your chopped kale and toss. The kale will wilt, and just continue tossing about 4 minutes.
11. Add the lemon juice and put in a serving bowl.
12. Top with the Parmesan cheese for those that want it. Like I said earlier, this can easily be made a vegan dish by leaving out the Parmesan cheese.
I hope you enjoyed these green beans with a little bit of heat and extra veggies. Let us know what you thought of them!