- 1 cup strawberries sliced into thin ¼ inch thick slices.
- I cup fresh Raspberries
- ½ cup fresh Blue Berries.
- 4 Cups Banana Low Fat Yogurt.
- 4 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Crushed Peanuts ( optional )
With Spring comes warm days and picnics – and a perfect treat that kids will love is a Spring Berry Fruit Parfait. This is one of our favorite frozen treat picnic recipes from the Picnic Source.com. Picnics are one of the best ways to spend time with family – and one of the only ways that can trump the distractions of everyday life ( including cell phones, Facebook and video games ). For those with a bit of romance in them – a picnic is a hard to top first date – and with a little planning can make a great memory and first impression.
Although it is easy to plan a picnic with commercially produced foods – there is just something special about preparing the eats yourself. Maybe it’s that we rarely get to eat country fresh meals anymore – or it’s just that things taste better outside – and berries are one of those things that just go hand in hand with a picnic on a clean, warm Spring afternoon.
With that said, this ultra-simple dessert treat is filled with sliced strawberries, raspberries and blue berries, crushed peanuts and a dash of brown sugar. The banana yogurt brings out the flavor of the fruit, and is a Spring picnic treat that will be a sure hit with kids and adults – even those that aren’t crazy about yogurt.
The use of low fat / zero fat Banana yogurt mixed in with the fresh berries is equal to any high calorie ice cream cone for flavor and taste – but without the calories despite the use of brown sugar.
Picnic Berry Parfait Instructions
- In freezable disposable cup – put one ½ cup of yogurt on top of a layer of peanuts at the bottom of each cup.
- In a medium bowl take the remaining yogurt and gently mix in the berries being sure not to crush or damage the delicate blue berries or raspberries.
- Distribute the mix evenly among the four cups.
- Sprinkle a layer of brown sugar and crushed peanuts on top of mixture in cup.
- Put in freezer for three hours or until coming close to hardening.
If you use slurpee cups or a similar container these wonderful Spring treats can be easily transported and will stay fresh for several hours during a picnic on a warm Spring day if kept in a chill bag or cooler. An optional way to make these is to layer them with yogurt / fruit / yogurt etc.