- 1/2 cup Grape Nuts(R) cereal
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium banana
- 4 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp maply syrup
- 4 cups frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
It’s holiday time which is my favorite time of the year! My husband and I both have family in Houston so we love to go to Houston, enjoy time with our family, and make memories during the holidays. We always have wonderful meals with tons of food like this Crispy Vegan Cherry Pie and a house full of family members. It’s basically a tradition – breaking bread during the holidays, enjoy each others company, and make memories. We are all very close-knit, but since we don’t exactly live close to them, the holidays are the perfect time for us to see everyone.
During the holidays this year, we are excited to spend time with our niece and nephew! My niece is the perfect age to go see her first movie at the movie theater and we are going to take her to see SING (C), the movie. I just know she will love it, and I’m hoping it will be a memory that my husband, niece, and I will cherish. Since we have those big family get-togethers that always involve food, my husband and I became determined to come up with a great recipe that gives you all the warm feelings you want during winter that we can all enjoy, so we came up with this Crispy Vegan Cherry Pie. It has Grape Nuts(R) in the crust to give it the perfect crunch to go along with the savory filling! We went to Kroger to buy all of our ingredients, and it was a breeze finding everything we needed for our recipe! If you plan to make this recipe for yourself, use this $1 coupon for Grape Nuts (R).
Begin by making the crust.
1) Using a food processor, grind the rolled oats.
2) Then, in a medium bowl, mix the Grape Nuts(R), spelt flour, 1/4 cup corn starch, baking powder, ground rolled oats, allspice, cinnamon, and salt together.
3) In a smaller bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
4) Once the banana is mashed, add the almond milk, canola oil, ground flax seed, and maple syrup. Mix those ingredients together.
5) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and using your clean hands, mix the ingredients together until it becomes a firm dough that is mixed well.
6) Wrap your dough in cling wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 30 -45 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven and make the filling.
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Combine the frozen cherries, vanilla, and agave nectar in a large pot and bring to a boil.
3) Once the mixture is boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for 5 minutes.
4) In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup corn starch with approximately 3 tablespoons of water until it is dissolved. Add to the cherries and mix well.
5) Bring it to a boil again and take it off the burner to let it cool a bit.
6) Grease your 9 inch pie dish.
7) Roll out approximately 2/3 of your dough in between 2 parchment paper sheets for your pie dish bottom crust. Place into the pie dish.
8) Using a fork, make several holes in the crust (push the fork into the crust approximately 8-10 times) and bake the crust for 10 minutes.
9) While the bottom crust is baking, roll out the rest of the dough and cut it into strips for the top of the pie.
10) Remove the bottom crust from the oven, add the cherry filling, and place the strips of dough on top.
11) Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
12) Turn down to 350 degrees, cover your pie with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
13) Remove the foil, and bake for another 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
We hope this crispy vegan cherry pie brings your family together around the table and helps make memories! You can also enter the SING (C) Sweepstakes for a chance to win the $100,000 grand prize and more! Make sure to get your $1 coupon for Grape Nuts (R).
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Promotion starts 11/1/16 at 12:00 PM (noon) ET and ends 3/31/2017 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Open only to legal residents of the 50 US/DC, 18 years of age or older. See Official Rules for instructions on how to enter, how to obtain codes without purchase, prize details, restrictions, odds of winning, etc. Void where prohibited by law. Sponsor: Post Consumer Brands, LLC.