- 4 large on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 Tbsp of Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
This healthy vegan recipe for quick and delicious broiled tomatoes is one of the fastest side dishes to make and is very simple. Just pop them in the oven and they are ready to serve. If you would like to make them vegetarian instead of vegan, just add parmesan cheese on the tops of the tomatoes.
Tip: You can use any breadcrumbs you’d like for this recipe. I couldn’t find whole wheat breadcrumbs at the grocery store, so I decided to make my own. To make my breadcrumbs, I put 2 slices of Ezekiel Spouted 100% Whole Grain Bread in the food processor. Now I have healthy breadcrumbs that I can use on my tomatoes.
2) Cut the tops off the tomatoes and seed them (pictured).
3) Mix the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the Italian seasoning.
4) Put the breadcrumb mixture into the seeded tomatoes.
5) Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and place the tomatoes cut side up on the pan.
6) Put the pan in the oven for 3 minutes or until the breadcrumbs turn brown.
That’s it! Can you believe how simple this vegetarian recipe for broiled tomatoes is? Being a busy college student, I don’t have much free time so having an easy, healthy side dish to make is perfect for me. I hope you enjoy trying this recipe for quick and delicious broiled tomatoes. Let me know what you think!